Saturday, 9 July 2011

Today

I love falling back in love with my City. It doesn't happen often. This place is an easy thing to neglect during the weekday or even weekend. Between late hours at the office, a grocery store run to sustain yourself until the next day, and that quick drink with a friend to feel socially viable is typical. During the week it seems life exists but only in motion. Weekends are more colorful but still someone to meet some place to be. So when that one fine day comes with nobody to answer to and no place to be I find myself whimsically lost.

Today started off with Saturday AM Yoga class. This YMCA is special. It makes me feel like I'm part of a community in this upscale real-estate spectacle I call home.  The building is like your favorite pair of jeans. Worn in places that shouldn't, but dependable and always feel good to put on your body. The people are even better. Eclectic group rivaling the united nations for diversity. They are kind and appreciative.

Tess
Drew is my yoga instructor, Troy too. But I usually make Drew's class. He's kind and challenging and welcoming. After a good AM yoga stretch I peddled my vintage Schwin Varsity (my friend helped me name my bicycle Tess) to the farmers market. Fortunately I'm able to go frequently enough to know where my favorite spots are. Pineapple skewer, then lettuce and herbs from the Asian ladies. Today one Asian gal gave me two free tomaotes. She was wearing a purple jeweled shirt. Very fancy for having to be anywhere at 5:30 AM. I told her I liked her shirt and she smiled as wide as the potato on the table. It absolutely made my morning and reminded me to pay attention to detail. Overlook the hustle and bustle into the heartbeat of the people running it. Paying someone a compliment is the best medicine to make any dark day brighter. After the farmers market Tess and I headed down to Grey's Lake. I approached the rental station. For two summers I've been wanting to try to kayak. Today was the day. The last time I had that much fun with $5 was probably the age of seven purchasing slap wrist bracelets. I kayaked around the lake which is equal to a large pond -- but who cares it was terrific. The favorite part was finding the ducks on the south side of the lake. It was the calmest part and consequently the most beautiful. After this I made myself a delicious lunch incorporating my farmers market dill and chives into farm fresh eggs.

The remainder of the day was lazy, a stroll through the western gateway park and a trip to the grocery store in effort to cook up some delicious foods to match my fresh herbs.
Des Moines yet again I’m reminded why you’re my home. Love to your bricks and people.

No comments:

Post a Comment