![]() |
| Traditional Scot threads |
Before coming here I thought wearing the Scottish kilt was something of folklore. Like a unicorn or Humpty Dumpty. But it’s not uncommon to run across a kilt. Most men here wear trousers the kilt is worn for more formal affairs. Formal stretches from business meetings to birthday parties to weddings. The tartan is the pattern on the kilt. What I didn’t know until I returned was tradition as a "true Scotsman" should be wearing nothing under his kilt. Agh! I’m quite certain this would have changed my entire trip had I know previous.
Very cool to learn traditional tartan colors are determined by family. Patterns with individual ‘clans’ and families can be traced back perhaps one or two centuries.
A sgian dubh (Gaelic: "black knife": a small sheathed knife worn in the top of the right hose).
I asked a tour guide at the Stirling Castle if I could take a picture of his pants. He replied “No,” but could “take a picture of his trousers!” Apparently pants refer to underpants.


No comments:
Post a Comment